Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Growing Pains

Kyra definitely seems on the track to becoming a tall person. She's taller than most kids her age and continually suffers from growing pains around her knees. We can usually tell which nights she will have growing pains as her appetite is usually voracious in the day leading up to it. She'll suddenly transform from her usual slow-eating goofing around meal time habits to devouring everything like a piranha and asking for more. We've taken to giving her pre-emptive strikes of Tylenol just before bed on nights such as that. It decreases the number of times she wakes up crying in pain.

I remember my own mother using Bengay ointment to try to calm my own growing pains as a child. Kyra's the type of kid who would somehow find a way to get the ointment into her eyes even if she's zipped into footy pajamas with a padlock on the zipper. My wife's grandmother stated that her mother used rubbing alcohol on her legs to soothe growing pains. I don't see how that would help. It seems like that would only have cooling and disinfecting effects. It left me curious as to what other means people have come up with for helping kids who are going through growing pains. Anyone have any homeopathic (or otherwise) means of reducing growing pains?

3 comments:

Diana said...

Tom, you can try homeopathic Arnica, which works well for Helena. Also, topically, we have a homeopathic analgesic called Traumeel (also sometimes called Traumed) which works well. I'll bring you some to try on Friday.

thebonebreaker said...

My 8-year-old daughter occassionaly has growing pains in her legs as well - giving her a warm bath before bed and then rubbing her legs with lotion (to help massage the muscles) generally helped - though she claims that raising her legs (with a pillow beneath her knees) helped the most. . .

The Ball & Chain said...

That's weird, I don't ever remember having growing pains as a kid, but I'm not very tall (5'3"). My husband is 5'8" and doesn't remember having any either. Maybe it's a tall person thing.